If I list some of the effects of stress on an individual I wonder how many you could tick saying to yourself “that sounds like me”!
Well, try this list out for size!!
- Depression, sadness, tension, panics, phobias
- Guilt and or shame
- Over reacting
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Difficulty in making decisions
- Difficulty in “switching off” – not being able relax
- Increased sensitivity to criticism
- Obsessional intrusive thoughts
- More rigid attitudes
- Increased heart rate
- Butterflies in your stomach
- Difficulty swallowing
- Nausea – feeling sick
- Frequently going to the loo
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Difficulty in sleeping/early wakening
- Emotional outbursts
- Excessive drinking and smoking
- Difficulty in relaxing or enjoying the things you used to
- Avoidance of particular situations
- Biting nails
- Job dissatisfaction
- Conflict with Management
- Taking time off because you cant stand the thought of going to work.
What can I do I hear you ask yourself?
The first step is in finding the Right Therapist for you to work through what is going on for you and finding strategies for managing your thoughts.
After all, you are the “expert” on you and sometimes finding that Professional who you have confidence in can make all the difference in your recovery.
Perhaps you would like to check out how you score on your own personal stress questionnaire ?
You may find the results very interesting and it may give you something to think about in making changes to how you live your life.
It’s often not the life event that stresses us but our reaction to that event.